Lencois Maranhenses National Park 5 Days of Nature and Beaches Brazil | Lencois Maranhenses, Sao Luis
Visit one of the natural highlights of Brazil: the worldwide unique landscape of Lencois Maranhenses National Park. The wavy sand dunes spread like an endless bed sheet and give the region its name. This remote region between dunes and the ocean is home to indigenous villages and nature along rivers such as the spectacular Rio Preguicas.
- Ride on a jeep tour with a private guide
- Take a dip in the dunes' natural pools
- Discover the Rio Preguicas by boat
- Visit remote villages
- Stroll through the colonial town of Sao Luis
Day 1: Arrival to Sao Luis
Included: Airport Transfer (private)
Welcome to Maranhao, one of the northern states of Brazil and famous for hospitality, music, culinary specialties, and untouched coastal landscapes. You will be picked up at the airport and taken to your hotel. Your English-speaking guide will welcome you and give you information about the events for the coming days and valuable tips for your stay in Sao Luis.
Overnight: Hotel Luzeiros, Superior room
Day 2: Barreirinhas and 4×4 Trip to Lencois Maranhenses
Included: Transfer to Barreirinhas (in-group, 4h) | Day Trip by 4×4 Vehicle to Lencois Maranhenses (private, 4h) | Breakfast
Accompanied by your English-speaking guide, you will take a group transfer to Barreirinhas, the gateway to Lencois Maranhenses. The route is about 190 miles (300 km) and will take about 4 hours. When you arrive at Barreirinhas, you will first check in at your accommodation and have some time for lunch (not included). Your guide will choose the best time in the afternoon to set out on your private tour of Lencois Maranhenses, thus avoiding big tourist groups. You will arrive after a one-hour drive in a private 4x4 vehicle on the sand tracks with breathtaking views. You will be able to walk around freely and see what lies behind the dunes and enjoy a refreshing swim in the natural pools. Later, you will enjoy a spectacular sunset over an unforgettable landscape. Following the sunset, you will head back to Barreirinhas.
Overnight: Pousada Encantes do Nordeste, Eco chalet
Day 3: Private Boat Trip along the Rio Preguicas to Atins
Included: Boat Excursion to Atins (private, 4h) | Breakfast
Your destination for the day will be the small fishing village of Atins, which lies exactly at the Rio Preguicas delta and is surrounded by beautiful desert beaches. Together with your guide you will take a private speed boat up north on the river. You will stop in the remote villages of Vassouras, Mandacaru, and Cabure before arriving to Atins. Enjoy the scenery and relax in this remote area, the apparent “end of the world.”
Overnight: Pousada Jurara, Standard vila room
Day 4: Beaches of Atins and Return to Sao Luis
Included: Boat Ride to Barreirinhas (private, 1.5h) | Transfer to Sao Luis (in-group, 4h) | Breakfast
After a short walk to the hotel's restaurant for breakfast, the morning is free for your leisure. You can enjoy the beaches, just relax and watch the kitesurfers. We also offer an optional trip to any lagoon that is particularly attractive during your time of travel (not included). In the afternoon you will take a private boat back to Barreirinhas. At around 4:30 p.m., you will take a group transfer back to Sao Luis, where you will arrive at around 9:30 p.m. Then it will be time to say goodbye to your guide and afterwards you will have the rest of the evening to enjoy the city of Sao Luis or to just relax.
Overnight: Hotel Luzeiros, Superior room
Day 5: Departure
Included: Airport Transfer (private) | Breakfast
Depending on your flight time, you will be taken to the airport. Full of new impressions and memories, you will start your journey home or onward.
- All transfers detailed above
- 2 day trips (with a private English-speaking guide)
- 2 nights at Hotel Luzeiros, Superior room
- 1 night at Pousada Encantes do Nordeste, Eco chalet
- 1 night at Pousada Jurara, Standard vila room
- 4 breakfasts
Not included are airfare, insurance, single supplement, beverages, meals not indicated in the itinerary, tips, and personal expenses.
- If you arrive early to Sao Luis, or depart late on the 5th day, you can optionally book a private guided tour to the historical center of Sao Luis.
- The program can also be conducted without a guide. In this case, please note that local guides speak very little English and that group excursions may be more crowded and have longer wait times depending on the season.
- All tours can be customized, shortened, or extended depending on your interests.
- The best time to visit Lencois Maranhenses is from June to October as the lagoons are mostly filled with water and it hardly rains. December to February are not good months for this tour. In November and December, the water level in the lagoons sinks. In January and February, it rains very often and only slowly do the lagoons fill with water. It may rain more frequently in March and April, but the lagoons will already have a higher water level. After a bad rainy season, the lagoons can dry up by August. After a good rainy season, however, the water in the lagoons can last until December.
This journey will take you to the most beautiful places in Brazil: the tropical metropolis of Rio de Janeiro, the spectacular waterfalls of Foz do Iguacu and the exceptional nature of the Amazon Rainforest. Many different and individual day trips and excursions are on the program. You will gain distinct impressions of Brazil's diversity, visit the most famous sights, and get to know the breathtaking variety of animals and plants of the jungle. Our local English-speaking guides will make sure that you have a great time and show you the best of Brazil.
Experience the unique and breathtaking nature and amazing variety of flora and fauna in the Amazon and the Pantanal in Brazil. On many different excursions you will explore the equatorial rainforest and one of the largest wetlands on earth by boat, jeep, and on foot. On this tour, wildlife observation and the experience of nature are in the foreground. Apart from exotic plants and giant trees, you will have the chance to see countless bird species, different monkeys, caimans, anteaters, tapirs, and even jaguars. Immerse yourself in the dense foliage of the Amazon Rainforest, explore the waterways of the Pantanal, and let yourself be enchanted by the wonders of Brazil's nature.
This journey will expose you to the wide diversity of Bahia: the famous historical center of Salvador, adventurous tours in Chapada Diamantina National Park, and palm-lined dream beaches. Colorful little streets, waterfalls, caves, table mountains, tropical culinary specialties, and much more await you on this tour to the most beautiful places in Bahia.