Sao Luis and Lencois Maranhenses on a Budget 4 Days of Nature and Adventure Brazil | Sao Luis, Lencois Maranhenses
You are travelling on a budget in international groups to discover one of Brazil‘s nature highlights: Lencois Maranhenses National Park. This dune landscape spreads like a bed sheet in front of your eyes. That‘s where its name comes from as the Portugese word „Lencois“ means sheets. Visit the oldtown of Sao Luis and enjoy a jeep tour into Lencois Maranhenses National Park and a boat tour on Rio Preguicas.
Day 1: Arrival in Sao Luis
Upon arriving in Sao Luis you will be taken from the airport to your accommodation. There a guide will welcome you and explain the program of the following days. The rest of the day you can enjoy some free time. You might want to explore the car-free historic center of Sao Luis which offers a trip back in time with its 3,000 buildings from the colonial period. Sao Luis is also the capital of the „Nordestino-Reggae“ and many charming bars offer live music on a regular basis.
Overnight: Casa Lavinia or similar / Meals: -
Day 2: Sao Luis - Barreirinhas / group excursion to Lencois Maranhenses
In the morning you start with a group transfer to Barreirinhas, the gateway to Lencois Maranhenses. The route is about 300 kilometres long which will take about 4 hours drive. In Barreirinhas you will first have to check in to your accommodation and then there is time for lunch (not included). Around 2pm you leave with a group tour in an offroad vehicle to go the 15 kilometres until the National Park. On the way you will cross a river on a raft, one vehicle at a time. This might cause a waiting period, depending on the amount of visitors. The drive takes about 1 hour and leads along Cashew trees on a sandroad. Once arrived you can walk around freely to see what lies behind the dunes and enjoy a refreshing swim in the natural pools between the sand dunes if there is time. Later you will enjoy a spectacular sunset in an unforgettable landscape. After the sunset you will head back to Barreirinhas on the same way.
Overnight: Pousada do Buriti or similar | Meals included: Breakfast
Day 3: Barreirinhas / boat tour on Rio Preguicas
In the morning you go aboard a motor boat alongside other guests. Your tour will lead you down the Rio Preguicas in direction to the Atlantic Ocean. You will pass little villages, mangrove forests and palm trees, where you can observe endemic birds. The first stop is Vassouras, where giant sand dunes reach into the river. You are in the little Lencois. It is a lonesome place and only two families live here. You can climb up the dunes, drink a coconut and watch monkeys. Maybe you will be forced to wait, as only about five boats can dock at the same time. The excursion goes on until the village of Mandacaru, where a lighthouse grants an amazing view over the region. It is a popular spot and visitors can climb up in intervals of 10 minutes. The last stop is in Cabure, a sand lobe between river and ocean. You stay around 1 to 2 hours and have the opportunity to eat lunch (not included), take a refreshing bath on the beach or relax in a hammock. Afterwards you go back to Barreirinhas by boat in 1 hour. There you have between 1 and 2 hours time and pick up your luggage from the morning check-out. Round about 16:30pm you return by group transfer to Sao Luis and arrive between 21pm and 22pm.
Overnight: Casa Lavinia or similar | Meals included: Breakfast
Day 4: Leaving Sao Luis
With a bag full of wonderful memories you leave Sao Luis today. Depending on the time of your departure you will be taken to the airport.
Meals included: Breakfast
- Airport transfer to accommodation with driver (no guide)
- Welcome in the accommodation by an English speaking guide
- 2 nights with breakfast in a double room at the Casa Lavinia (or similar accommodation)
- 1 night stay with breakfast in a standard double room at Pousada do Buriti (or similar accommodation)
- Day trips in a mixed group of international guests with Portuguese speaking guide
- All transfers as described in the program
- Airport transfer from accommodation with driver (no guide)
Services Not Included
- Optional meals or excursions are not included in the price
- Please note that the local guides do not speak English very well.
- The program can also be shortened or extended depending on your wishes.
- The best time to visit the Lencois Maranhenses is from June to October. The lagoons are mostly full of water and there is almost no rain. December to February are not good months for this tour. In November and December the water level in the lagoons drops. In January and February it rains very often and the lagoons are slowly filled with water. In March and April it can rain very often. The lagoons have a higher level of water. The lagoons may dry out by August after a rain period with little rainfall. When plenty of rain falls in the rain period the water in the lagoons may stay up to December.
- To enjoy an individual experience we recommend a longer trip with private guide. That way you are able to avoid big groups of people and can explore the region in a more flexible and personal manner.
This journey will take you to the most beautiful places in Brazil: the tropical metropolis of Rio de Janeiro, the spectacular waterfalls of Foz do Iguacu and the exceptional nature of the Amazon Rainforest. Many different and individual day trips and excursions are on the program. You will gain distinct impressions of Brazil's diversity, visit the most famous sights, and get to know the breathtaking variety of animals and plants of the jungle. Our local English-speaking guides will make sure that you have a great time and show you the best of Brazil.
This journey will expose you to the wide diversity of Bahia: the famous historical center of Salvador, adventurous tours in Chapada Diamantina National Park, and palm-lined dream beaches. Colorful little streets, waterfalls, caves, table mountains, tropical culinary specialties, and much more await you on this tour to the most beautiful places in Bahia.
Visit one of the natural highlights of Brazil: the worldwide unique landscape of Lencois Maranhenses National Park. The wavy sand dunes spread like an endless bed sheet and give the region its name. This remote region between dunes and the ocean is home to indigenous villages and nature along rivers such as the spectacular Rio Preguicas.